, , , , , , ,

Some days start out and then just go and go. Or in this case, it started out very slowly and never seemed to end. The slow start had to do with the fact that some mornings I just can’t seem to shake sleep. Yesterday was such a day. I blame having to drink my breakfast at 3:00 am when I woke up to low blood sugar. Going back to sleep seems to completely zap me.

I was the walking dead making breakfast and tossing every pill known to man into Parker’s mouth. His allergies have arrived with a vengeance. My poor baby.

The only thing I had planned for the day was to visit Gavin’s school while he registered for high school. He texted me about it while the boys waited for the bus. He wanted to make sure I was aware of the meeting. I was.

The meeting was scheduled for 1:35 to 1:50. I did the math wrong and left later than I should have. I did manage to get to the school at 1:30. From there it was a mad dash to find the auxiliary gym in time. Gavin was sitting close to the door underneath a number 1. When I initialed next to his name I was told to sit under the number 12. I found that odd. As an invited parent, shouldn’t I sit closer to my kid? As if we were there together? And cared about each other?

With no seats next to Gavin and only one seat sort of close to the number 12, I went for the empty seat. I felt very uncomfortable. Nothing about the meeting made sense. I kind of resent that schools cater to helicopter parenting and include parents in things they really don’t need the parents involved in. After all, we did see the classes Gavin chose to take next year and we saw his four year high school plan of classes. We signed the paper as requested. What did they need me for?

I called Gavin over to me and asked if we should be sitting together. He didn’t know. The mom sitting next to me offered the most unhelpful advice in a fairly snotty tone. I decided she wasn’t my favorite person! “There aren’t enough chairs for both parents to sit with their kids.” Thank you Captain Obvious.

When seats opened up next to Gavin, I moved by him. I asked where he was told to sit. He said he never checked in with the lady at the door because he thought I was supposed to be with him. Since I wasn’t there yet he sat down. I was specifically told to sit under number 12. People were being randomly selected and taken to tables. There didn’t seem to be much order to the family selection. I wondered if specific tables were calling students under specific numbers. I suggested we move back to number 12 since the trio had moved on to their table appointment.

The clock on the wall said 1:50. Somehow we had not won the table lottery yet. Gavin and I were both quite confused about what was even happening. I was just told to show up. It was obvious they were willing to talk to students without parents. Not sure why I had to be there.

Finally a walking advertisement for painfully shy adults walked up to us and almost inaudibly whispered, “I’m sorry for the wait.” She was the exact opposite of authoritative teacher. It took my by surprise so much, a beat or two went by before I realized she was telling us it was our turn!

“Are you ready?” I stammered.

She led us to a table. We had been chosen! The woman at the table looked straight into Gavin’s eyes and introduced herself as the high school vice principal. She shook his hand. She looked at me so I introduced myself. I got the impression she could not care less about who I was, much less the fact that I was even there. No wonder Parker’s English teacher was so shy. The vice principal was nice enough. She just really could not be bothered with anyone else at the table. She had an annoyed, I-got-this vibe about her.

I was largely ignored while the vice principal talked to Gavin and they figured out his schedule. Eventually Gavin was told to go to the library to register his classes. I walked with him wondering how much longer my presence was required. It was pretty late in the day and he was hoping I could just give him a ride home.

We walked into the library where I saw several students registering on computers. The only other adult in the room was a school staff member. I quickly asked her if I needed to stay. Her ambivalent reply was, “Sure, if you want to … it’s pretty boring though. You can be moral support if you need to. Sometimes we can’t tell who’s supporting who though.”

Thanks for clearing up the awkwardness of this increasingly awkward situation.

I stood there as the lady helped Gavin register for his first class. When she walked away I asked him if he wanted me to stay. He was as decisive as the lady. I finally told him I was leaving and I would see him at home in an hour.

So I had done my due helicopter parenting part. It felt like the entire day had been arranged to include the school visit. Now my day was over.

Only it wasn’t. Our neighbor came over to give us the payment for her portion of the retaining wall between our yards. It turned into a house tour. We showed her the backyard and explained our plans. As things were mentioned somehow it turned into walking her through our entire house.

By the time we were done talking to her we realized we were out of time. Gavin and Parker needed to go to the church for Scouts. Parker was dying though. His ears were painfully sore. He was eating some cheese before taking Ibuprofen and a tooth came loose, making chewing quite difficult. It was a moment where everything was happening at once and he was frustrated.

He decided he didn’t want to come eat with us. He just wanted to stay home and wait for his ears to stop throbbing. We rushed to a nearby burger joint where we met the missionaries and a family from the ward treating them to dinner. We ate quickly but there was no time to take anyone home to Parker before Gavin had to be at the church.

Just before we left, Heath had told me to make sure I had my temple recommend with me. I forgot we were going to try to meet with the Bishop to renew our recommends. Heath had almost forgotten as well. We were both very underdressed for the interview. The Bishop gave us the schedule to interview with the Stake Presidency. Our ward was being seen that evening until 8:00. It was 7:30. Off to the stake building.

We finished our interviews there in time to rush back to the ward building to pick up Gavin. I had called Parker a couple of times. The medicine had kicked in and he was in much less pain. On the way home, we stopped off for gas. I was exhausted by the time we got home.

For a wasted day, we sure got a lot done. I was prepared to take Parker to the doctor. When he got up this morning his ears were fine but the gunk had moved to his eye. So one eye is bloodshot but doesn’t hurt and there is no gooey discharge. So I sent him to school with more medicine should he need it. He only took the nasal decongestant at lunch. Kids gave him a hard time about his eye. I have adopted a wait and see attitude. Given how quickly his symptoms move overnight, chances are his eye will be fine by morning.

His once pained throat is now only scratchy. His ears are fine. He has no more sinus headaches. Just the one weird eye. And one less tooth. Every day it seems like less and less of a cold and more and more like we are getting a handle on the crazy allergies. All the rain today was supposed to help knock down the pollen count. My poor baby.

Tonight I get to teach hair and hygiene tips to 16 Activity Day girls between the ages of 8 and 11. It’s been a busy couple of days around here.