, ,

The kids had their yellow slap bracelets on. Supposedly the bracelets were for the magic morning at Legoland. Nobody checked the bracelets or took them from us. They now sit in a bag with other memorabilia from the trip.

The morning had been a lot of fun. We had enjoyed a few rides and attractions already. There was a bit of a line for the Sky Cruiser. We thought it would be fun to try it. Heath had taken Gavin on that ride years ago. There was only 20 minutes left of our magic morning hour. I hoped if the line moved fast enough we could do the Sky Cruiser and maybe one more ride before the general public was welcomed to the park.

As we stood in line the toddlers in front of us curled their bracelets around the railing. Starting at the top they gave the bracelets a slap and watched it spin all the way down the iron bar. Giggle giggle giggle. The parents behind us pulled their daughter out of the play area next to the line. I couldn’t understand what her offense was but they were adamant she stand in line with them. Closer and closer to the ride operators we slowly crept.

Gavin got in the car by himself. He would pedal the Lego contraption on his own while the rest of us teamed up in two separate cars.


This was the scenery we enjoyed as we followed the squiggly track.


Parker and I were enjoying our ride together. I looked behind me and saw Heath and Gwen pedaling along the curve we just passed through. Heath had his camera out and snapped our picture.



It looks like Heath captured the exact moment our car violently jolted to a stop. Between the sound and my stomach being slammed into the tight seatbelt while my body lurched forward, I couldn’t help but remember the car accident we were in. That’s exactly what it felt and sounded like.

There was no rhyme or reason for the sudden stop. Our car simply refused to go. Were we pedaling too fast or too slow? Who knows? I doubt the pedaling even affects the ride. All I knew was we had stopped.


Heath and Gwen bumped into us from behind along with at least eight more cars. One by one the cars came around the bend and stopped at the end of the growing line. How could the operators not notice that they kept sending people out but cars weren’t returning?


We waited
and waited
and waited
and waited some more.

We waited quite a while before we could hear the announcement that the ride was experiencing technical difficulties. Then we waited even longer before anyone even bothered to check on us. Parker was getting discouraged. Gwen was really mad. I was just embarrassed. All eyes were on Parker and me as if we were somehow responsible for the ride stopping.


I was relieved to see Gavin wandering around looking for us. We yelled his name and motioned for him to come to the fence. I was so grateful we stopped where he could see us. There are a lot of parts to that track where he would have never been able to see us.

Since we couldn’t do anything, we couldn’t even unbuckle ourselves, we told Gavin to go on another ride while he waited. Heath said we could call him when we were finally rescued. Unfortunately Gavin had left his phone in the room so he stood by the fence to wait for us.


This whole debacle lasted forever. I kept looking at the walking path next to the track. If only we could unbuckle and walk out. Why wasn’t anyone coming to get us? Parker kept saying he could see ride operators staring at us. I was more aware of the people taking pictures of us. Who knows, maybe we were Facebook or Twitter celebrities!

I thought I would laugh later and I do a little bit. But it was a very different experience for Parker and me being the lead car – the car that unexpectedly locked up the ride. I still feel weird when I think of how many phones feature me and my son in pictures and video.

Finally a couple ride operators came to our rescue. They used a long pole to pry open the seatbelt safety lock. We unbuckled and climbed out of the car onto the emergency track. We experienced the rest of the ride on foot and were told to wait at the exit for paperwork and questions.

It sounded much scarier than it actually was. The girl had everyone record their names in a logbook and then she gave us all exit passes. The exit passes were good for skipping the line on one ride. “So use them wisely!” At least we got some sort of compensation for the inconvenience. By the time we were finished it was nearly 10:20. We got in line at 9:40. Ugh! So much for one more ride before the magic hour was over.

The park wasn’t very crowded. We hardly had to wait at all to get onto any rides. Heath held onto the exit pass for that perfect opportunity to use it.

As we walked away from the Sky Stopper, Heath told me he had more bad news. He whispered that Tinkerbell forgot to pack the autograph books and pens we found on Amazon. I thought I held it together rather well as I essentially sat in a zoo, otherwise known as a broken down ride. This new turn of events threatened to push me over the edge.

Heath: Let’s go into this shop and look around for a minute.
Me: Good because I’m going to need a Diet Coke!

While Heath herded the kids around the Lego displays I fished out a $5 bill for a non-refillable cup. I could have paid more for a souvenir cup that held more soda and would only cost a dollar to refill all day. In my moment of desperation for happy juice I decided I didn’t want to carry around a souvenir cup all day. I needed Diet Coke and I needed it now. I could deal with later, later. I sucked down my $5 drink in record time, took a deep breath, and we went on with our day.

We zipped through lines all day. Our favorite ride was The Dragon. We conquered The Dragon countless times. At one point I went with Gwen back to the jousting horses so she could ride. I made her stand in line by herself. She has to ride it by herself and it seemed like a good idea. She was fine but I felt weird about it seeing all the other parents waiting in line with their kids. Gwen is Gwen and made friends left and right in line.

While she was having the time of her life riding a mechanical horse around a track, her boys were riding The Dragon over and over. There wasn’t much line to speak of. When we all met up again, Heath said we should go on the dragon together. The end of the line was inside the building. Heath decided to take a shortcut by crawling under a chain. We all followed him. He turned around and moved his hand off his shorts to reveal the huge rip.


The funny part was that the rip was down the center front of his right leg. A seam didn’t split. His powerful legs must have flexed just right in his squat for the shorts to weaken under pressure and give up. We stayed in line and conquered The Dragon again.

Afterwards Heath walked back to the room. First he took my jacket out of Gavin’s backpack and strategically draped it over his right arm so it covered the hole in his shorts.

I walked halfway around the park the wrong way trying to meet up with Heath. I can’t read maps. Well I can I just didn’t know where I was in the map. Lots of Fitbit steps that day!

The last ride we went on was an Indiana Jones themed ride. They can’t use the name though because they don’t own the rights. Anyway, the line was pretty long so we used our exit pass. It was great. We got right on from the exit and had fun shooting targets Astro Blasters style.

To end our bizarre day we bought our park photos. They give everyone a Photo Pass card like at Disneyland. You can buy the pictures individually or you can do their deal and buy everything on the card for $40. At the end of just about every ride you can see your picture on a computer. If you like it then they can scan your card. At the end of the day you can buy them all. We were scanning that card like crazy.

On of the perks of booking through Costco was we had a coupon for a free Shutterfly book. Sweet! I would let Shutterfly scrapbook our Legoland trip. Some of the people couldn’t scan our card. The equipment wasn’t working or something. So in addition to our Photo Pass card we had a bunch of cards with handwritten photo numbers on them. The plan was to turn it all in at the end of the day for the $40 deal.

Heath said it was a guy in training who helped him. He had to constantly ask questions of a manager. That should have been our first clue. When we got home we put in our code to view the pictures we purchased. There should have been around 50 pictures or more. We had more like 10-15. Most of which were of other families!

The website is set up in such a way that it looks like you can try to find your lost photos but you really can’t. They also don’t claim any responsibility for basically robbing us. It’s awesome. That’s why I say that one hour the first day was the best. We had so much fun. Nothing went wrong. Life was good. The next day was a different story. Still fun but there were a lot of weird problems.